Saturday, June 13, 2009

like it, love it, can't get enough of it.



FACT: When you are grateful for something, you can't complain.

To be honest, when it comes to our bodies, which we find more things to complain about than cheer about, we are denying the real truths: 1) our bodies do things for us that we MUST be grateful for, things that we are NOT acknowledging, and 2) you have a beautiful body that is not receiving the praise it's due.

It’s time to turn that around.

I know there are bad days. You look in the mirror wondering, why this part does not balance out with that part? Does that look strong, or just big? Is there any way to enlarge this part of me while taking away from this part of me?

Time to shut those lying voices up PRONTO. Today.


FACT: You were created by the hands of a God who knew exactly what He was doing. It’s time to thank him for that body.

I can say that I like my body. I don’t just LOVE it, because I’m supposed to LOVE myself and that’s the right thing to do, I REALLY like it. I have a body I truly like to live life in.

There's a difference. You can always say you LOVE your parents, but when you say you LIKE them, it's another dimension. It means you want to be around them, you truly enjoy them, you like their hows and their whys and the way they interact with you. They are likable people.

I say the same for your body: want to be around it. Enjoy it. Like it’s hows and it’s whys and they way it interacts with the world.


I’m here to preach a body gospel: YOUR BODY IS A STRAIGHT UP 10.
This will become clearer the more you are aware of the truths of exactly what it does for you, and learning to love exactly how it looks, today. Trust me on this.

I don’t care about what seems uneven to you (which is in your head anyway), I don’t care that your pants fit tighter than yesterday, I don’t care that she looks better in shorts than you do.

Move on. Focus on what is true: your many reasons to be grateful.


Lately I have been purposely writing down each day things that I’m grateful for that my body does for me. I have truly noticed changes.

I have stopped complaining so much. I have stopped poking and prodding so much. I have stopped comparing, and started cheering myself on.
I’m losing the right to complain (that I never had in the first place).

I beg you beautiful, perfectly formed, No Plain-Faced Girls to start writing down, every night, why you are grateful for your body. Sometimes, even if you don't feel it, write down why you know you should be.

Some examples from my journal:

“I am grateful that my body keeps me steady. I have strong legs that get me where I need to go. It always bounces back from a hard workout. It can run. It looks pretty darn good in clothes. It’s a body that I will share someday with the man I say “I do” to (and he’s going to be all about it :) ). I am modern art- curves AND straight lines, hard muscles and plush places. I have feet that are beautiful enough to pound pavement for miles and rock a sweet pedicure…”

You will not run out of things to write down so long as you start to believe the truth- You are created SO well. Your body can do AMAZING things. Don’t deny it.

So yeah, I like my body.
How could I not? It's a 10 out of 10! More truth? So is yours.

Like it, love it, treat it well.
Feed your mind words that are true.

Start here: Be grateful. You’re an amazing creation. 10 out of 10. Design AND function, No Plain-Faced Girl. Own it.


Love,
Claire

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Claire,
I was just out a women's ministry thing at my church on the topic of body image- and I have to say thanks for sharing! You are such an encouragement!