Thursday, June 26, 2008

i rant , therefore i respect.



I don't believe that throwing around the word "bitch" when speaking of any female is appropriate.

It's NOT funny, it's NOT clever, it's NOT uplifting, and no matter what you tell me, it should NOT be considered an affectionate term shared between people who claim to be friends.
When I even think about calling my best friend that, I feel absolutely sick.

"Bitch" is not a word that makes anyone feel beautiful.

I know that in our culture, that word is heard often and in many contexts, and means a lot of different things. You might be thinking that I'm a prude and that I "don't get it," but unfortunately, I kind of have to. It's the world we live in.

That doesn't make it right.

You may still think I'm ridiculous. That's okay, I just sincerely want you all to be respected, and lifted up, and there are enough words in the English vocabulary that actually do those things in a FULLY loving and respectful way. If you need some suggestions, feel free to ask me. The use of that horrible term when explaining a living, breathing, human shows at a base level a complete lack of creativity and class.

Refuse to be anything but respected.
And refuse to be someone who doesn't respect other people,
especially the girls you joined this group to support.

I can't apologize for a rant like this. I write this post because I care enough about you and the future of women at large to NOT stay silent about it. (Silence itself being a way of supporting.)

[[You're No Plain-Faced Girl, so don't stand for a word that declares you one]]

4 comments:

Anna Joy said...

Thank you, Claire, I completely agree. May I add something else?

I work in an environment that is saturated with gossip and slander. If one of our co-workers is out of the building, or even out of the room, every mean thing that could ever be said about them is said. And like you, I can't understand why it is okay to speak that way about someone who is a living, breathing, beautiful human being.

I would like to take your challenge one step further, and say we should avoid EVER using ANY words that makes one person seem less worthy than another. We are all treasured children, and we should be treated as such.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. This is something our generation needs to learn. Speaking disrespectful words to others or about others is not fruitful in ANY way. I don't see why people feel the need to use them. I also agree with Anna Joy, when she said that we are all treasured children, and we should be treated as such. That is very true.

Rach said...

Right on sisters!

Laura B said...

I personally believe there is nothing wrong with a good rant. Ranting gets things moving.

I also think the names girls call one another is ridiculous. I think that the movie Mean Girls is partly to blame. Language is such a strange and elusive creature and when combined with pop culture things get a little crazy. Now I hate it when people pass off societal problems to movies or video games or whatever, but I think the problem with that film is that people didn't take out of it what they were supposed to.

That film as making fun of that culture, those girls and guys. People didn't take from it that you respect yourself and others. Calling your friends a 'bitch' or a 'ho' or a 'slut' out of fun or love is not respect. And it is certainly not love either.

It always suprises me the things that catch on. Maybe it is coming out of some inscurities that are exploited by the media and popular culture. Bah.